Santa isn’t the only one making a list and checking it twice! Everyone has their own holiday traditions that make the season a little brighter, from hanging the stockings to baking holiday cookies with the kids. We have compiled our favorite seasonal Virginia traditions into a simple checklist that will make this year’s Yuletide one you won’t soon forget.
Click on the image below for the full list or print it out here to check off these tinsel-filled to-do’s as you complete this holiday list.
1. Enjoy a Breakfast with Santa in Virginia with the whole family.
2. Visit one of the decorated Loveworks around Virginia and snap a picture for your holiday cards.
Pictured: hampton roads LOVEwork decorated for the holidays
3. Attend a Grand Illumination or parade in Virginia’s favorite Christmas towns.
Pictured: Middleburg Christmas Parade – photo credit: Fred deSousa
4. Pick up the traditional tree at a local Christmas tree farm.
Pictured: Christmas trees at Claybrooke Farm – photo credit: Christopher Hunter Photography
5. Get your holiday shopping done in one of Virginia’s many amazing shopping districts.
Pictured: Shopping district of Old Town Alexandria – Photo credit:Kristian Summerer for Visit Alexandria
6. Learn about Virginia’s rich history during the holidays when you attend a seasonal celebration at one of Virginia’s historic destinations.
Pictured: holidays at shirley Plantation
Pictured: winterfest at kings dominion
8. Experience Virginia’s holiday flavors at a local restaurant.
9. See a seasonal play or show at a nearby theater.
photo courtesy of Busch Gardens Williamsburg
10. Plan a romantic getaway at a decked-out hotel or resort.
Pictured: Holiday decorations in the lobby of the hotel roanoke – photo credit: Shannon terry
11. Break out your favorite over-the-top holiday sweater for a tacky lights tour.
Pictured: Decorated home on the Richmond Tacky Lights Tour
12. Warm up with a steaming cup of hot cocoa in the Commonwealth.
Pictured: Hot chocolate at Blackbird Bakery in Bristol
13. Hear Virginia choirs and musical groups perform your favorite Christmas Carols.
14. Head west to a Virginia mountain resort for some snowy family fun.
Pictured: massanutten Resort – Photo Credit: Sam Dean, IG account: @sdeanphotos
15. Pick up some sweet seasonal treats and goodies from a delicious Virginia bakery.
Pictured: Red Truck Bakery
16. Lace up and hit an ice skating rink with friends or family.
Pictured: ice skating at colonial williamsburg
17. Visit a decorated Virginia winery for some extra holiday cheer.
Pictured: pippin hill winery holiday decor – photo credit: Eric Kelley
Pictured: wharf hill brewing co. – photo credit: Thomas Owen
Share your favorite Virginia holiday traditions in the comment section below.